Business & Trade
(1990's). Modern Map.
The High Street is now
the coast road (A259), with the south side bordered by the River
Adur, obscured mostly by a row of shops and Public
Houses, with gaps where
Hards should provide access to launch boats into the River Adur. The
footbridge from Coronation Green at the east end of the High Street leads
on to the area known as Shoreham Beach.
to photograph of the Footbridge over the River Adur to Shoreham beach.
From the beginning of the century
the beach area was a theatre and film colony with people living in redundant
railway carriages. The carriage had their wheels and bogies removed and
were fixed to a concrete raft over the shingle.
Film Studios were constructed
and from about 1913 many films, including the first production of 'Little
Dorrit', were made on Shoreham Beach. The film industry collapsed but many
of the people involved remained in Shoreham and opened shops. All cinemas
in Shoreham and the Adur District are now closed. The first cinemas in
the 1920s were the Star (1910-1926), Bijou Electric Empire renamed
the Duke of Yorks (1911-1931), and the Coliseum (1920-1941). The Coliseum
survived until World War II. A new cinema called the Norfolk and then the
Ritz was opened in 1933 on the edge of Ropetackle. One of the last films
showed there was "From Russia with Love" in 1964. It became a Bingo Hall
and a warehouse before it was demolished in 1970.
Railway Carriages being floated across the River Adur
In the early 1920's the Prospect
Film Company issued the following prospectus:
conditions of Shoreham-by-Sea are particularly suitable, and peculiarly
adapted for daylight production. Facing the south of the famous Downs the
air is wonderfully clear, and quite free from fogs, and, as the studio
is situated on a spot at least 50 miles away from any real smoke, a pure
and clean light may be obtained, probably unrivalled by any other place
in England. East and West of the studio are the towns of Brighton and Worthing.
To the south is 70 miles of open sea, while to the north are situated the
Downs famous in song and story, undoubtedly the Los Angleses of English
Gap Hard, off Shoreham High Street,
the construction of the Footbridge and before Coronation
new Adur Ferry Bridge
Day 13 November 2013
Beach is mostly shingle and the soil for lawns etc. has been introduced.
strata of the site consist of gravel and sand and a lignite formation known
locally as "Stromboli" which was found generally on the site at about 35
to 50 ft. below the surface level; beneath this is a load-bearing layer
of clay and chalk.
quote above came from the following external site referring to the foundations
of the old Power Station, built on the same
sort of land (beneath the shingle) as Shoreham beach.
Brighton 'B' Power Station (Southwick)
References and further information are available
for all the entries on this Web Site. Please enquire by EMail.
Sailing Club (External Link)
Adur at Dusk
of the Adur Ferry Bridge from the Norfolk Bridge
Map (Multi-map) for Shoreham-by-Sea
map below tales too long to load. A replacement is planned. Meanwhile,
the following site is recommended:
References & Maps on the Web
Also a map at:
MAP (Large File)
Centre Map (Netscape *)
of the Adur Area
Adur at Old Shoreham
The existence and development
of Shoreham as a town depended on its harbour. Over the centuries its fortunes
collapsed when the harbour silted up.
Business is now diverse with
the harbour not so important since the closure and demolition of the Gas
Works and the Power Station. Other businesses
to close in recent times include the Cement Works, boat building, timber
importation and distribution, aircraft construction (Beagle) and flight
simulation. Important employers include Southlands Hospital, Adur District
Council, BOC Edwards High Vacuum
and Ricardo Consulting Engineers,
a high technological engineering firm on the west side of the Toll Bridge
crossing the River Adur at Old Shoreham. The
an important provider of employment. Aircraft movements can reach 8,000
per month during the summer.
Tourism has not been encouraged
and Adur Council have always been ambivalent about it.
The number of jobs in the
Adur District is 18,000 (1991). The official population of Shoreham and
Southwick together is 31,385. Unemployment in the Adur District has been
above the West Sussex County average for 10 years up to 1998. More.
6: News 1997 et seq.
About 4070 BC (Neolithic
Age) there is evidence that flint was mined at Church Hill near Worthing
(5 miles west of Shoreham), about 900 years before the construction of
Stonehenge. Neolithic farmers cleared the wildwood to plant crops, using
the hoe, and raise livestock. Neolithic relics have also been found at
Truleigh Hill, on the downs north of Shoreham.
By 1100 BC (possibly
as early as 1800 BC) a Bronze Age settlement became established near Stoney
Lane in what is now Shoreham. A Bronze Age burial site was found on the
downs north of Buckingham Park.
By 500 BC a hill fort
had been constructed at Thundersbarrow on the downs. Iron ore was
mined in Sussex (north of Horsham, about 25 miles north of Shoreham) about
this time. The Truleigh Hill field system (terraced lynchet) has been identified
from the Iron Age.
About AD 40 coins found
in Shoreham were those minted in the reign of Tincommius, a Celtic King.
By AD 44, this part of Sussex was ruled by the Belgic ruler Coggidumnus
at the time of the Roman invasion. The Belgae introduced a heavy plough
known as the "ard" and together with the use of iron tools, agriculture
production and landscape alteration of the downs was extensive.
Romano-British settlements existed
in Shoreham from about AD 100 to AD 250. Iron Age and Romano-British
remains have been found near Slonk Hill, NE of Buckingham Park. Roman coins
have been found in Shoreham. Remains of a Roman Villa have been discovered
in what is now the town of
to the east.
Buried hoard of Roman coins
of gold and silver, dated between AD 380-461, was found at Patching,
now part of Worthing.
arrived in Sussex about AD 457. The first positive evidence
of Saxon settlement in this area comes from a Saxon weaving hut at Erringham
at the top of the slope on an arable part of the downs near Mill Hill.
The date for this is about AD 850. Remains of molluscs showed oysters
to be the most important followed by mussels. Ash (aesc) was an
important wood for the Saxons, used for the handles of spears (90% of armed
men) and swords (10%). Parts of the west wall
of the church of St. Nicolas at Old Shoreham
have been dated to around this time (AD 850), or earlier.
Church was extensively altered by the Normans in the 11th Century
At about AD 965 the shoreline
was different from the present. The River Adur was navigable as far upstream
as Beeding or Bramber about three miles to the north of Old Shoreham. At
the time of the Norman Conquest ships could reach St. Cuthmans (Steyning),
a further mile north, which was a thriving port. The first bridge crossing
at Bramber erected at the time of Bramber Castle (now in ruins) about AD
1086 sometimes prevented navigation further upstream. A timber quay
was erected at Bramber about this time (between AD 1010 and 1170).
In the 11th century the Norman's
established Shoreham as important haven. The church of St. Mary de Haura
is dated at AD 1103.
the sea had crawled at high tide half-way up the sloping sides of those
downs. It would do so now were it not for the shingle bank which its surging
had thrown up along the coast. Between the shingle bank and the shore a
weedy river flowed and the little town stood clamped together, its feet
in the water's edge. There were decaying shipyards about the harbour, and
wooden breakwaters stretched long, thin arms seawards for ships that did
Brown: Esther Waters
Page compiled by Andy Horton
Valley: Nature Notes 2006
in the Adur District (Churches)
3: Wildlife Habitats
4: More about the Town
9 Diary of Events