HARDS & SLIPWAYS
High Street (Ropetackle)
to Sussex Yacht Club)
to Surry Boatyard)
to the Waterside Inn (formerly the Lady Jane)
Gap (Sussex Yacht Club)
for the visitor.
web pages were started on 1 January 1997
centre, which is actually the parish of New Shoreham, is dominated
by the River Adur
which is a wide expanse of
vegetated mud-flats at low water, with the river flow cutting a narrow
path, and a tidal inlet at high tide. From the centre it is easy walking
distance over the Adur
Ferry Bridge to a shingle
beach, with sand at low tide,
and to both the downs
and the river valley.
16 January 2008 @ 7:30 pm
SECRETS OF SHOREHAM
Presentation and Discussion
Talk by Andy
all the people of Shoreham should know about their town. And what is not
written in Henry Cheal's books or in Freddie
your critical facilities with you, because lots of the material is new
under the pseudonym of Questor Stanton,
the format asks questions and then I attempt to find out the answers.
Who were the first Shorehamites? Where was Pende? What does the name
mean? How did the Marlipins get its name? Who were the Butterfly Collectors?
Peter's Church Hall, West Street
£2, others £3
Although Shoreham has far more history
than the neighbouring towns, there is little obvious evidence for visitors.
The large Norman church of St. Mary de Haura dominates
the town centre, and this reflects New Shoreham as the most important town
in the region up to the 14th century when the town was half destroyed by
encroachment from the sea. The church is only half the size of the original
- the former nave has completely fallen down. The street plan north of
the High Street dates back to medieval times and the building which is
now the Marlipin's
Museum dates back to the 14th century.
Mary de Haura Church
stands it, the work of hands unknown of: statelier, afar and near,
around it the heights that bound our landward gaze from the seaboard here;
that swerve and aspire in curve and change of heights that the dawn holds
The view from the
top of the square tower of St. Mary's church is recommended if the
weather is fine, but it is only open to the public on one day of the year.
The height of the tower is 81 feet (25 metres). The transepts contain
original Norman buttresses. St. Mary's Church is dated to 1103 AD when
the first building was completed (it commenced circa 1096). At night when
the Church is lit up, it looks impressive.
In Old Shoreham, the small church of St.
Nicolas dates back to late
Saxon times, although it has been extensively renovated in Norman times,
with the tower constructed about 1140. There is a Norman beam and an oak
screen dating back to the late 13th century.
Shoreham is the
premier Sussex port serving a hinterland of over 400 thousand people including
the city of
& Hove and the larger town of Worthing.
which was based in the town centre up to the beginning of the 20th century
is now mostly to the east of the town boundary. The entrance is opposite
the Lighthouse on the south coast A259 road and marks the approach to Shoreham
from the east. There is still wharfage in use on the northern side and
this stretch of road is bordered by unattractive industrial uses.
Shoreham entering Shoreham Harbour on 7 March 2002
Around 1295 New Shoreham was known by
the alternative name of Hulkesmouth
because of its importance as a harbour and shipbuilding centre. The hulc
was depicted in the town seal. Hulcs are believed to have taken over from
cogs and up to the late 15th century seem to have been the main sea-going
trading vessels of N W Europe.
In the subsequent centuries Shoreham was
at times the most important English Channel port and at other times fell
into disuse because of silting up of the harbour.
A modern map can be found on the
allow the free launching of boats, notably at Ropetackle. It is important
to get the
right and there is still 30 minutes to go to reach the harbour entrance.
High springs occur around midday.
Shoreham Airport is located on the western
side of the River Adur. A walk runs from the town centre across the road
bridge (Norfolk Bridge) and along the
towpath adjacent to the airfield.
The first commercial aerodrome in Britain,
opened in 1911*, is now used almost exclusively for light aircraft and
helicopter flights. Pleasure flights are available. The Art Deco
terminal building was designed by Stavers H. Tiltman. (*
The first flight took place in September 1910.)
Shoreham is different in character from
the sprawling Brighton conurbation six miles to the east. There are 22
pubs and enough restaurants and cafes.
new Adur Ferry Bridge at low tide
new Adur Ferry Bridge at high tide
from Shoreham Beach and the opening evening of the new Adur Ferry Bridge
carrying the West Coastway railway line over the River
current steel bridge was built by Sir John Fowler and Sir Benjamin Baker
and construction began in 1893.
Most people work within 10 miles of Shoreham,
although 20% of the working population commute to London, which is just
over an hours ride on the hourly + trains. Unemployment rose sharply in
Politics & Services
District Council is the Local Authority and it includes the neighbouring
towns of Southwick
to the east and Lancing
to the west. The Conservatives are now the largest party with an overall
majority (2004). The Civic Centre is in Shoreham. The Parliamentary
Constituency from May 1997 is called Worthing East and Shoreham (previously
Shoreham) and returned Tim Loughton (Conservative) in May
2010 with a massive 11,105 (23%) majority
from the second-placed Labour party. The County Council is West Sussex
with an overall Conservative majority.
Sussex County Council
Landscape & Wildlife
Plovers & Dunlins
Adur at Old Shoreham
River Adur and with the downs
and the sea nearby, the area supports a diverse
wildlife flora and fauna. The mudflats
support wading birds and gulls, including the Ringed Plover which attempts
to breed on the coastal shingle.
The Pied Wagtail is common in the town and the Great Black-backed Gull
visits the estuary in the winter months. Insect fauna includes dragonflies
over the flood plains of the river. The
south and west facing downs attract at
least 32 species of
the Chalkhill Blue.
The underlying rock is chalk
on the downs, with alluvium in the old river channels. The Adur district
is fortunate to have a large variety of habitats in a small area, including
natural chalk downs and butterfly meadows, freshwater and reed beds, salt
marsh and estuary, brackish water lagoons,
woodland, shingle seashore, chalk platform
undersea and large expanses of sand.
World Oceans Day
Oceans Day was first declared as 8th June at the Earth Summit in Rio de
Janeiro in 1992.
occurred all around the world on and around this day.
was one of the UK leaders in presenting the seventeenth environmental exhibition
Oceans Day on Coronation
British Marine Life Study
Society presented the usual exhibition of the seashore
aquarium and the
lobsters and crabs.
The Friends of Shoreham Beach (FOSB)
took an active role with their display of the wonders of Shoreham
Beach. Wildlife writer Steve
Savage presented the Man and the Sea exhibition
with a video microscope. Exhibitors were available to find the time to
answer questions about marine life. World
of Widewater exhibited a display and information about the brackish
water lagoon and local nature reserve.
participants included Southwick
Camera Club with an exhibition of seascapes and marine life.
Oceans Day on facebook
World Oceans Day on facebook
Nations: World Oceans Day
Over 40 species of fish have
been recorded in the River Adur estuary. Most
noticeable are Grey Mullet and Bass. The
oyster fishery was important in Victorian times, but it has been overfished.
beds occur in the estuary.
Notes pages have a chronologue of newsworthy wildlife in the lower
Adur valley. Contributions are welcome.
The origin of "Shore" came from scora
the past participle of the Saxon scoren shear, shorn, and probably
means a slope, or the foot of a slope? (but where is the slope?)
The origin of "ham" almost certainly came
from the Saxon word hamm, which probably originally meant an enclosure
Colloquial pronunciation of the name includes
Shoram, where the 'h' is silent. This name was written on coins minted
in the Middle Ages.
web page receives over 50 visitors every day and
whole web site receives over 8,000 unique visitors every day.
Shoreham-by-Sea site commenced on 1 January 1997.
here for more about Shoreham-by-Sea
you have visited this site please leave a message at:
you do not receive a reply or acknowledgement to an EMail within two weeks,
please write again
1997- 2016 Andy
Permission has NOT
been granted for information on these web pages to be copied and placed
on a different web site. However, a Link to this site is permitted, and
welcomed, on your own web site pages. If you have included a Link to this
site, please advise. If it is relevant, a reciprocal link may be included.